Crispy Pan Fried Dumplings
Here’s a fun way to serve dumplings! A thin layer of dumpling lace or “dumpling skirt” is created by adding a mixture of cornstarch and water slurry to the pan while pan frying the dumplings. When the liquid is evaporated, you’re left with a thin, crispy layer around the dumplings. Serve this at your next gathering as it will be a crowd pleaser!
Some helpful tips to create the dumpling skirt:
- Use a non-stick pan to easily release the dumplings from the pan
- Arrange the dumplings in a circle so that the dumplings are served as one piece
- Before pan frying , have a lid available and lay the plate over the pan to check the dumplings will fit on the plate once inverted.
To make a smaller batch of dumplings, reduce the filling ingredients in half or freeze the wrapped dumplings to have on hand for an appetizer or to add to ramen and soups.
To freeze: arrange the dumplings in a single layer on a plate or baking sheet (not touching each other) and freeze until firm. Then transfer them to a freezer safe bag or container. Cook from frozen, adding a couple of extra minutes on the cooking time.
- 30-40 dumpling wrappers
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or all purpose flour
- 1/4 cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound any ground meat (or tofu for vegetarian)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated or minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dipping sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Optional - Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru) or chili oil
- Optional- Green onions or sesame seeds
In a colander, toss the cabbage with salt and set aside to draw out the moisture.
Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce and set aside.
In a bowl, add in the filling ingredients. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the cabbage and mix together with the filling ingredients.
To wrap dumplings: use your fingertips to wet the edges of the wrappers with water. Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half and pinch the center of the wrapper. Fold in two pleats towards the center on each side of the wrapper. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
Heat the oil in a pan and arrange the dumplings in a circle. Pan fry for 1 minute or until the bottom is lightly browned.
In a bowl, mix together the water and cornstarch.
Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pan and swirl the pan to get the cornstarch mixture in between the dumplings and sides. Cover and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook on medium heat until the crust is golden brown.
Move the pan around or use a spatula to release the bottom crust. Invert a plate on top of the pan and carefully flip over the pan, while placing your hand other hand on top of the plate.
Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!